My excitement and love for photography grows with every person I meet...every photo I take.


It brings me joy to capture your emotions, your laughter, and your moment with every frame.


Its your story. You are unique.


Let me be your visual record keeper.









slideshow image 2 slideshow image 3 slideshow image 4 slideshow image 5 slideshow image 6 slideshow image 7 slideshow image 8 slideshow image 9 slideshow image 10 slideshow image 11 slideshow image 12

eyelets: Meet Damaris Mia of Damaris Mia Photography

13 July 2011
What first drew me to Damaris Mia was the clarity and the "realness" of her photos.  Are you following me when I saw "realness"?  Her photos tell a story and draw you in. Each one.  And I have to be honest, I want to photograph like her.  That's what first attracted me.  Second, her name! I have a daughter named Damaris and I just loved that they shared a name. I think the first thing I may have asked Damaris Mia was how she pronounced her name and where she was from that she was named "Damaris." (and on a side note, my BFF growing up has an older sister named Damaris too).  Third, as I was reading blogs and looking at photos. It all stopped. And up popped a new Damaris Mia.  She wrote a letter to herself and shared it with all of us.  In it she explained her reasoning for dropping the pretense and starting over from scratch.  That resonated so loudly with me because it mirrored what I was dealing with (and apparently what others are dealing with) that I knew that Damaris was the real deal.  So here we go! Let's meet her.

1)  Introduce yourself and get the visitors “in” on your work!

Hi :) I am Damaris of Damaris Mia Photography. I live in beautiful Orange County, CA with my husband and furkid named Nala. I’ve always been creative and into the arts but it wasn’t until May 2009 that I actually got into photography. I’ve been exposed to it my entire life because of my dad (who took his camera everywhere) but really didn’t show interest in photography until late 2008. I purchased my very first dSLR camera in May 2009 and have been shooting ever since!

IMG_0441


2)  I love your work.  LOVE it…which is why I look at it often.  How did you get started in the photography business, and when?

I got into photography in May 2009. In the beginning, I saw photography as a way to make some quick and easy money. However, the more I learned, the more I realized that it wasn’t so quick and easy. I jumped full force and did whatever I could to get my name out there. But over time, I came to realize that photography is so much more than making money. Many people have this misunderstanding of the photography business. I know I did. I have since taken a step back to think about where I want to go with my photography. I want to take it in a different direction than the direction I’ve been going. I can’t say where that will be just yet. You will have to follow me on my blog to find out :)

Im excited to see what you have in mind. I bet all of your fans are as well.
IMG_0225

3)When was the first magic moment that you knew you wanted to be a photographer?
I was drawn to nature photography when I first started out. In May 2009, I took a trip to Hawaii and knew then that this is what I wanted to do. There was something about capturing God’s creation on camera and being able to enjoy it later, long after I left the island. There was this peacefulness of shooting nature that I was really drawn to.

Damaris Mia07

4)When did you make it a full time thing?

I still haven’t made it a full-time thing. Right now, my photography is being taken in a new direction and am not ready to make it a full-time thing. I also work full-time at a different job. But if I’m being honest, I like it this way. And maybe that’s because I love the job I have right now. But photography will always be a passion of mine.

Damaris Mia11

5)And I have to ask, because it’s a question that people are asking themselves anyway, what do you shoot with and what is your favorite lens?

I shoot with a Canon 7D and one of my favorite lenses to shoot with is the 35mm.

Me too! Though I don't have the 35mm...but its on my list...somewhere!

Damaris Mia03

 6)Describe your style.

Fun. Modern. Fresh. Clean. Classic.

I would definitely describe your work in that way.  It is so very attractive.  And I love it.

Damaris Mia13

8)  What is something that you are still learning?

I’m still learning everything! Haha. I can’t say that I fully understand one specific thing. I think there is just so much out there to learn. I thought I fully knew my camera and come to find out until I came across some cool and interesting tips! But really, I’m still learning everything.

I am quite certain that I don't use half of the functions that my camera is capable of.  As of late, I have just been getting outside (or inside...its just so darn hot here) and taking pictures of the same thing, over and over, changing my setting, changing my position, changing the lighting, with the hopes that I can see what this camera is capable of what I can make it do when I know how to use all its functions.

9)What is the one thing that you LOVE LOVE about what you do?

This is hard because there are so many things I love about what I do. But I would probably say documenting and capturing those moments that would only be just a memory if not captured by a photographer. Also, I love creating art.

Damaris Mia15

 11) When you have nothing scheduled, where are we most likely to find you?

Playing soccer, at Disneyland, at home watching Netflix, hanging out with my husband and family, at the beach, hiking, or shooting for fun.

When we lived in CA I had Disneyland passes.  Honestly that is one thing I miss so much.  Arizona just doesn't have anything near like it.  I am trying to come back to Cali and back to my passes!

12)  As a photographer, I look to others, their work, their business model, who they seem to be as a person as viewed through their blogs or FB posts; if I look to you, who are YOU looking to?

When I first started out, I followed Jasmine Star like crazy. Not so much now though. But I do like to check her work from time to time. I love Lara Casey (she’s not a photographer but the editor for Southern Weddings Magazine). I admire Mike Colon (a photographer out here in Newport Beach, CA). I’ve simmered down looking at other photographers because I wanted to develop my own style and not beat myself up for not being at their level.

Damaris Mia08

13)  Coke or Pepsi?
Dr. Pepper. Haha. But if I had to choose between the two, it would be Pepsi.

You know what? I just discovered Cherry Dr. Pepper....its is YUMMY!

14)  Knowing what you know now, what is something you would have done differently when you first started out?

I would have slowed down and focus on my art rather than try to get my name out there. It’s not a popularity contest but I didn’t see it that way when I first started out.

Damaris Mia16


15)  Something that I would like to know is, if ever, at any point in your career, have you thought about quitting, or doubted yourself, or hit a wall and wondered how to get over it? If so, can you give a little background? How did you overcome that hurdle?

I felt like quitting so many times. This all stemmed from being envious of other photographers in my area. I wasn’t envious of their work. I was envious because it seemed like they were always getting clients and I wasn’t. It was a really low point for me because I really beat myself for it. I almost put my camera away in the box. But I overcame that by taking a step back and reevaluating what I wanted out of photography and what I wanted out of life. 

Damaris Mia09

16)  Who are YOU, other than a photographer? 

I am a lover of Christ and a doting wife. I’m a momma to Nala, my furkid. I’m a family person. I love to eat. I’m a tomboy who isn’t afraid of heels. I’m a shoe addict. I’m athletic and competitive. I’m a lover of life.

Yay, I think I found that out early on reading blogs.  I am so amazed at how God has drawn me towards other Christian photographers before I knew they were Christians. People like you and Arden Prucha, Style Image Studios, so many that I have had the privilege of 'interviewing."

Damaris Mia05


17)  I have a huge purse love, do you have any fun or extraordinary talents or obsessions, that you’d like to share with us?

I have a ridiculous obsession with buying high heels. I have heels that I’ve never even worn. It’s bad. And they’re not the easiest shoes to walk in either. I like the 5-inch heels because I’m short (5’3”.. hubby is 6’1”)

Damaris Mia04

18)  What has been your best marketing strategy?

Oh goodness, I don’t think I’m the right person to answer this. For me it’s just been putting myself out there on the internet and word of mouth. I’ve never paid for any type of advertising. It’s worked so far :)

Damaris Mia06

19) What is the one piece of advice you could give that could be invaluable to someone starting out?

I don’t know if I can give just one, haha. First and foremost, I really and truly believe that one should practice, practice, practice. Like, REALLY learn your camera. Learn all the things you can do. And I don’t think you can learn all that just by reading a manual or watching videos online. You NEED to go out and shoot. Go practice what you’ve learned. You will make mistakes and lots of them. But you won’t learn unless you make those mistakes. You won’t grow if you’re idle so always try new things out. It’s a learning and growing process. Also, don’t try to be like someone else. You will most likely end up disappointed. Don’t try to imitate other photographers. Be yourself. 

Damaris Mia12

20) Lastly, what is one word in the English dictionary that describes you?

Scattered? Haha. In a good way though ;)

Damaris Mia17

Where can people find you, like you, and love you just as I do?

blog: http://www.damarismia.net/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photography.damarismia

Twitter: http://twitter.com/damaris_mia

eye color: Hazel/Green

Blood type: Beats me! That’s bad, huh?

and favorite food: Romanian and Asian food.


2 comments:

Damaris Mia said...

I am so honored to have been interviewed! Thank you so much :) I look forward to the day our paths cross! :)

Cara Membesarkan said...

postingan yang bagus tentang eyelets: Meet Damaris Mia of Damaris Mia Photography

Post a Comment